This is one of the worst malware attacks of the 21st century and is spreading quickly. Once your laptop is attacked it will take complete control and lock you out. Then it will demand you to pay 300 USD for releasing the control back to you. There is not much you can do to recover once attacked. The best thing to do is prevent the attack in the first place.
Here are the steps for the same.
- Stay updated on your Windows. If you have not enabled automatic updates in your laptop do that first. Don’t surf the web without updating.
- Don’t open emails from strangers with any kind of attachments.
- Microsoft has released security patches for this malware which you can download and install for better protection. You can download security patch here.
- Disable the SMB in your windows.
How to disable SMB
- Open search in your Windows and type “Windows Features”
- In the dialog box that opens scroll down to find the feature named “SMB 1.0/CIFS”.
- This will be enabled by default.
- Uncheck the box and disable it
- Click “OK” and restart your Laptop.
- With this port disabled it is not possible for the malware to attack your laptop.