Best Self-Driving Cars
The autonomous car is a vehicle that is capable of sensing its environment and navigating without human input. Autonomous cars can detect surroundings using a variety of techniques such as radar, LIDAR, GPS, odometry, and computer vision. Advanced control systems interpret sensory information to identify appropriate navigation paths, as well as obstacles and relevant signage. Autonomous cars have control systems that are capable of analysing sensory data to distinguish between different cars on the road, which is very useful in planning a path to the desired destination.
The Mercedes-Benz F 015 luxury in motion is a concept car which can drive itself to a distance of 684 miles. It has two rear mounted Electric motors which combined gives an output of 268 HP and combined torque of 294 LB-FT.
- This car can accelerate from 0-60 miles in 6.7 seconds and have the top speed of 124 mph.
- The number plates of this car are replaced by QR code for information of a vehicle.
- The doors of this vehicle can open in right angle and all seats can pivot at their point.
- The battery rating is 29kWh and from the total 684 miles 124 miles come from the juice inside the battery and the rest 560 miles come from fuel cells.
The Volvo XC90 self-driving car is running is Sweden and in 2017, 100 cars will run in Gothenburg. The Volvo XC90 have Drive–E technology with 4 cylinders’ engine which uses supercharging and turbocharging. The name of autopilot of XC90 is Intellisafe..
- This car can accelerate from 0-60 miles is 5.9 seconds
- This car is surrounded by 4 radars which give 140° field of view each having a range of 60 m.
- It also has ultrasonic sensors, 4 looking backwards, 4 looking forward and 4 looking sideways
- It also has laser scanner in front having the field of view of 130° and range of 150 m.
- It also has the clock which tells that how much drive time is left.
- During weather condition, if the system cannot work then the driver has to take the control if the driver does not take the control then the car will take itself to the safe side and stop.
The Tesla Autopilot is a self-driving car having 8 cameras that can give 360° view up to 250 m. The Tesla Autopilot have the self-parking mode in which the car finds the best parking area and park itself. The car also has connectivity with the phone so that one can interact with the car through a mobile phone.
- It has 12 Ultrasonic sensors having a range of 8 m.
- The main forward camera has a range of 150m and the narrow forward camera having a range of 250m.
- The rearward looking side cameras have a maximum range of 100m.
- The Radar is forward facing and which is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and an even car ahead having a maximum range of 160m.
- The new Model S have an advanced computer which is 40 times more powerful than the old one.
Google Self-Driving Car (Waymo)
The Waymo is Google’s self-driving car which is now on road and is being testing. The Waymo have range finder mounted on the top is a Velodyne 64-beam laser. This laser allows the vehicle to generate a detailed 3D map of its environment. The car then takes these generated maps and combines them with high-resolution maps of the world, producing different types of data models that allow it to drive itself. The Waymo will be available for driving by 2020.
- The Waymo have LIDAR (Laser illuminating, detection and ranging) system which is used to build 3D map.
- It also has lasers to accurately determine the profile and distance of any object surrounded.
- The Velodyne 64 beam laser is for 360° view around the car.
- Each camera of the car has 50° field of view and having the range of 30m.
- It also has Sonar system but it is limited because of its short range of 6m.
–Pranay Wankhede XJ