Growing Eye Concern
Eyes are one of the most important organs in human body. It is because of the eyes that we are able to see and appreciate the beauty of nature. The world today is driven by technology and one cannot escape that. As a result of these technological advancements people are forgetting about their health. Technologies such as computers and mobile phones are a prime cause in the growing eye related problems. Although to be able to stand and walk with modern world one cannot do away with such technologies. But the effects of these on sensitive organs such as eyes can be reduced surely.
Working with computers and mobile phones for long hours is taking a toll on professionals. But as rightly said every lock has a key, there are many keys through which the locks of computer vision syndrome can be opened and removed.
What is computer vision syndrome?
Also known as digital eye strain, it refers to a group of eye and vision related problems that are a result of prolong use of computers, mobile phones, e-readers etc. Now a days everyone, be it school or college students or professionals have to spend a lot of time on computers and mobile phones for various purposes because of the world shifting towards web.
Like every disease or syndrome gives some symptoms of identification CVS also has it. Eyestrains and Headaches are the important ones. Blurred vision, dry eyes, trouble in focusing at long distance etc are also a part of the basket. Amongst the many, few reasons for these could be poor lightning, staring continuously at computers and mobile phones, wrong sitting position etc.Headache
However there are ways to reduce the effects of CVS. Some of these are:
1. Resting of eyes – Regular breaks should be taken to prevent eyes strains. To alleviate digital eye strain, the 20-20-20 rule should be followed. This rule says take a break of 20 seconds and look at something 20 feet away in every 20 minutes. This exercise helps in prevention of strained vision and stretching of focusing muscles.
2. Dry eyes – In order to avoid dry eyes frequent breaks should be taken from computer screen. Regular rests should be given to eyes. Also it is advised to work in properly lit environment to avoid strains. To minimize the problem of dry eyes during work, blink frequently as it keeps the front surface of the eyes moist.
3. Adjusting of viewing angle – The angle of gaze plays an important role in CVS. Optimally the computer screen should be 20-28 inches away from the eyes and around 4-5 inches below eye level. The area of computer usage should be properly lit and glare from all sides should be avoided.
4. Proper seating position – Seating position while working on computer also plays an important role. The height of the chair should be such that the feet rest flat on the floor. The wrists shouldn’t rest on keyboard while typing.
5. Regular checkups – Whatever steps be taken, the need of doctor cannot be done away with. Regular eye examination is always advised for maintaining healthy eyes. It not only includes testing of vision but also evaluating the health of eyes.
It is advised to be careful and take good precaution of such a sensitive organ. Also it is beneficial to spread the awareness about the CVS and the measures to reduce its effect.