There are some awesome female protagonist characters that rule in Bollywood. Here’s the list of some :-
- Vidya Bagchi (Vidya Balan- kahaani) : – She battles odds, prejudices, blocks from every quarter to find her husband despite of being pregnant. At the end, there is a twist in tale; suffice to say you definetly did not see that coming.
- Meera(Anushka Sharma NH10) :- The movie is about a couple taking the roadtrip that turns to horrible disaster after they withness the brutal killing of couple by the girl’s own brother. After death of her husband by the same gang, Meera is a lone woman in a man’s world, the kind of world that is cruel to women who fights back.
- Smita Patil (Sonabai – Mirch Masala) :- In this Ketan Mehta directorial, Sonabai is pursued by the lecherous Subedar who wants to seduce her, and will not take no for an answer. She refuses to give up her self respect and offer herself to Subedar’s lust . In her defence, the women of the village eventually recognise her strength and come together in the spice factory to stop the Subedar in a show of unprecedented unity. Played marvellously by Smita Patil, the character is sensuous, strong and a woman who, despite being unlettered, has a lot women with education could learn from.
- Rani Mukherjee (Shivani Roy – Mardani) :- Rani Mukherjee’s kick-ass comeback. The best female cop portrayal. She deals with the case of human-trafficking in India in search of Pyaari( a teenage orphaned girl- who she considers like her daughter) . In the movie, she sports impressive physical powers and shines.
- Janki (Madhuri Dixit – Lajja) :- Madhuri Dixit plays Janki, puts her life on the line for her lover who abandons their relationship because of social conventions. She was feisty and had strength like no other to overcome every evil that society had in store for her. She questions his motives in a climatic speech in the middle of a performance.
- Rani (Kangna Ranaut – Queen) : In 2014, simple-minded Rani from Rajouri became the ultimate symbol of feminism. From the timid and shy girl, her journey of self discovery transformed her into a woman of strength, and made her realise that letting go of what society thinks of you and living for yourself is totally worth it.
- Zeenat (Gul Panag) & Meera (Ayesha Takia)- Dor :– Dor proved that Bollywood had grown enough to be able to portray friendship between women, as well as it does between men. The assertive Zeenat is a force to reckon with. Her maturity and sheer determination definitely made her a woman of substance.
Also Meera who considered her married life as her only world eventually realizes that world is lot more after her husband’s death. Both girls play wonderful roles
- Dolly, Indu and Billo (Kareena Kapoor ,Konkana Sen & Bipasha Basu -Omkara) – Three characters from different realms of the society who seem to represent innocence, strength and righteousness, naivety and ambition respectively. Apart from Langda Tyagi, every other character seem to fade away in front of these fierce women.
- Abha Mathur(Priyanka Chopra –Jai Gangaajal) – When it comes to versatility Priyanka has never let us down and you can witness in movies like Aitraaz, Don2, Gunday, Agneepath2,MaryKom and many more. In this movie, she plays a fearless cop in male dominant and fights always for justice.
- Neerja (Sonam Kapoor- Neerja) : In this biopic, Sonam Kapoor plays fearless airhostess who with her presence of mind save passengers in flight which is hijacked by terrorists. Awesome character.
There are more fearless women characters that Bollywood owns which includes – Madhuri Dixit & Juhi Chawla in Gulab gang, Damini, Meera (Rani Mukherjee- No One Killed Jessica), Alia Bhatt- Highway, Bandit Queen,etc.